My version of a healthy coleslaw is so good for you in many ways; here are just a few health benefits that set my recipe apart from the traditional mayonnaise-based recipe.
Reduced Fat: Using Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise significantly reduces the fat content in the coleslaw, making it a healthier option.
Increased Protein: Greek yogurt is an excellent source of protein, which helps promote satiety and supports muscle growth and repair.
Probiotic Boost: Greek yogurt contains beneficial probiotics that aid digestion and support a healthy gut.
Calcium Source: Greek yogurt is rich in calcium, essential for strong bones and teeth.
Vitamins and Minerals: Coleslaw made with fresh vegetables provides essential vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C, vitamin K, and potassium.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30 minutes refrigerated
- Total Time: 30 minute
- Yield: 6-8 1x
4 cups shredded cabbage (green, purple or a mix)
One cup large carrot, shredded
1/2 cup chopped bell peppers (any color will do)
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
One tablespoon of honey or maple syrup
One teaspoon of minced garlic
One tablespoon of Dijon mustard (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: sliced almonds, sunflower seeds, or use chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley or dill) for garnish
1. Combine the shredded cabbage, carrot, bell peppers, and sliced red onion in a large mixing bowl. Toss them together to mix well.
2. In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, olive oil, garlic, apple cider vinegar, honey or maple syrup, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper until well combined.
3. Pour the Greek yogurt dressing over the cabbage mixture. Use tongs or a large spoon to toss the vegetables and dressing together until everything is evenly coated.
4. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. You can add more salt, pepper, or a touch of honey or vinegar to suit your preference.
5. Cover the coleslaw and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
6. Before serving, give the coleslaw a final toss. Garnish with chopped almonds, sunflower seeds, or fresh chopped herbs if desired.
Serve chilled as a side dish or a topping for sandwiches, burgers, or tacos.
Enjoy your healthy coleslaw with Greek yogurt dressing!